2018 – 2019 Sixers Season Thoughts
This is going to be a semi-chronological scattershot of thoughts related to this season.
- The shot last night felt wrong. I felt like it was after the buzzer, or he stepped out of bounds, I was waiting for something to happen where we go to overtime and win. It felt wrong to have the season end on a shot like that.
- Embiid crying personified how I felt but was encouraging in that he cares that much and I don’t fault him at all. I also don’t fault the internet trolls for making fun of him, that’s inevitable.
- I keep coming back to Game 4 at home where they just kind of blew it. This was a real window to win. We win that, we win the series, and possibly more. These opportunities are rare, this was a real chance, and they fell short.
- I think we would’ve lost to the Bucks in the next round, and I think the Bucks will beat the Raptors in 5 or 6.
- Getting Butler and Harris was the right decision, and a firm transition from ‘the Process’ to ‘win-now’.
- The 3 seed was good all things considered. Many underestimated the Bucks and Raptors, and given the line up changes, 50+ wins and the 3 seed was a commendable regular season.
- Before the playoffs started I was on the sign Harris / let Butler walk wagon. My tone has changed after the playoffs. Butler isn’t the best fit with Ben and Joel, but he can take over a game in a way that Harris hasn’t proven.
- That being said, I don’t know what I’m rooting for this off-season. Signing them both, plus signing Reddick, plus extending Ben, plus getting a deeper bench seems all but impossible. Something has to give, and I don’t know what it is.
- Jimmy seems most likely to go seeing as he doesn’t fit as well, but I think he genuinely embraced Philly in the playoffs and would want to stay if the two sides can make it work.
- Having five centers (Joel, Boban, Amir, Bolden, Monroe) and only one being playable in the playoffs was a real problem. I’m not even sure how this happened, but it needs to change.
- Ben Simmons HAS to shoot. His FT% went from 56% last year to 60% this year. That is pathetically low. I don’t need him shooting 5 threes a game, but he needs a reliable jump shot, and his lack of improvement this year leaves me not optimistic.
- I will be furious / lose a lot of confidence in the front office if they fire Brett Brown. I don’t even think that statement needs defending.
- I’m worried about Embiid’s career. It’s not a new take, but it’s been said that he may have already played his best basketball. Knee tendinitis is not good. I hope it’s wrong, but it’s a real possibility.